Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by mjs3240
I sure would not pay $20,000 to shoot a whitetail. If I had that kind of dough laying around I would put it down on an elk hunt on the Tejon Ranch or on a Tule Elk hunt on a private ranch. And fyi California does not have any high fence game ranches. They are illegal here. I care not how other people spend their money as all conservatives should.

More liberal regulation. What difference does make if a rancher wants to sell his livestock to some rich guy to be shot? It's his livestock and the government shouldn't have any say in how he sells it. High fence shooting doesn't appeal to me in the least but if a rancher can make a $$ with it, it's his right.

It’s not that simple.

When you factor in diseases and escaped livestock for example. That’s not new ground.

BillyGoatGruff;
Good evening to you my cyber friend, I hope Thanksgiving Day is treating you and your fine family well.

Since I've got family who are still in the agriculture business, this is one topic among a few that we've agreed to disagree on.

They've had issues with disease on elk farms in Saskatchewan in the past and now I read that some of the FN reserves up there have canned deer hunts too.

In BC - so far - game farming of any natural big game is unlawful, though we do allow salmon farming on the coast which is another fine kettle of fish.

Anyways I'm with you in that it's not new ground - it's pretty much proven to be a bad thing for the wild herd.

All the best to you all and Happy Thanksgiving.

Dwayne

I won't disagree with this Dwayne, but I think it is important to mention that the argument could be made that domestic sheep shouldn't be allowed anywhere near wild sheep, due to the pneumonia scare. There are plenty of wild sheep on private ranches, so should domestic sheep ranching be outlawed where wild sheep exist and those ranchers be required to only run cattle on their private land? Most range permits on BLM and FS lands in the lower 48 come with mitigation measures to minimize the pneumonia risk, but they do at times come into contact on the range allotments so there's that angle to consider too. I am unsure if sheep need any sort of pneumonia test before they can be brought into a new state, though I guess a guy could buy sheep from Plentywood, MT and haul them several hundred miles to The Bitterroot Valley, MT without crossing a state line.

Managing public resources such as wildlife and trying to balance it all with private rights is one of the most challenging things there is IMO. Protecting one person's rights without stomping on another's...

Can’t move livestock across county lines without a brand inspection. Classify high fence and/or farm raised cervids as livestock. Require brand inspections and proof of applicable vaccinations. Seems simple enough. Won’t fix it but would mitigate it at least.

MAGA