From a flatlander:
Get in shape. Even some young guys can have a tough time at altitude.
Someone mentioned headlamps… climbing wet or snowy slopes is a bitch with a flashlight in one hand. Carry a spare headlamp with spare batteries too.
Carry game bags to put quarters in until they can be packed out. Even old pillow cases will work.
Carry plenty of water with you. Breathing a LOT harder at altitude will blow off a lot of water.
Carry an extra pair of socks to change at about midday. Helps prevent blisters.
Carry some moleskin for hot spots on your feet. If you know, by experience, you have spots on your feet that tend to blister, you can put the moleskin on before you start out for the day. I know one heel needs some on the outer side while the other needs it on the inside. The balls of both feet get a 1 1/2 X 1 1/2” square.
If you have two good pairs of boots, alternating each day will let the insides dry out.
Unlike whitetails, if the elk aren’t where you’re looking, they’re somewhere else. Don’t be afraid to move camp.
Learn some basic cow calls. They can be used as locator calls to see if there are any bulls in the area regardless of the status of the rut. If you stumble, a couple of cow calls can reassure any nearby elk. I’ve had them respond afte a stumble and it let me know they were around.
Did I say, get in shape? Every time I’ve hunted elk in Colorado I’ve wished I had worked out harder. At 9-10,000’ there’s only about half the oxygen available.
Have fun! I love hunting elk.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.