No one has mentioned it,but hunting with an OTC tag in Colorado has become a circus. In the past three years hunter numbers have grown exponentially. I would apply for an elk tag for the 1st rifle season. Fourth season can be good too,but it takes a lot of equipment and warm clothes to get it done and chances of deep snow are real

Someone mentioned concentrating on getting an elk and then getting it out. IMO that is backwards. Have a solid plan on how you will get the meat out before you even leave camp. It may vary well determine the terrain and location of where you hunt. Killing an elk in some deep dark, blow down filled canyon may fill your tags, but you might not physically be able to pack the meat out or have an outfitter or get horses or mules to it.I have met too many hunters that think they are tough enough beg me to pack their elk out with my mules.

Be realistic. Success rate in Colorado hovers about 18-20 % for all elk killed, bulls,cows,calves. Be happy to tag one.Overjoyed to tag two.Even if none are tagged, it should be the greatest experience those young ones will have.

It doesn't matter too much what head stamp is on the cartridge each use, but select a bullet that will do the job and make sure everyone can put it where it should go.

If you are tent camping, be aware that fire bans might be in places. Have back up plans for heat in the tent ,
Everyone will give advice on how to hunt elk. Elk don't read those rules. There are no rules

Last edited by saddlesore; 01/12/22.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles