WAM /Petzl commandments for the win!

I've taken alot first timers elk hunting in CO for the past 15 years or so. Here is the list of common issues I see in order:

1. Not being in adequate shape. It's really romantic to think you're gonna hunt over the next drainage, or even 2. You need to plan on a 2 hr hike, gaining 1-2000 feet elevation at 10,000+ feet. It is not good enough to simply get there. If it is a monumental effort just to get there you will not hunt every day plus, you won't be doing the 2-4 trips to get your 200 lbs of elk back to camp/trailhead. I tell guys - I don't care how good of shape you think you are in, it will still be hard.

2. Common gear issues: Boots. Many bulk at $3-400 boots. Many think they need 1000 grams insulation and then there zero understanding of sock systems. Sleeping bag. Seen people all over here. I've had people show up with a 40 degree bag their "buddy who elk hunts all the time" said would work in late October. I've seen a bunch of -20/-40 degree bags. A good zero degree bag works well - simply adjust for colder/warmer by the clothing you wear inside the bag. A $3-400 bag is a good investment. Jacket/coats. Especially whitetail guys, show up with Cabelas "system coats" that weigh 5 lbs and are waterproof in some way. They also tend to put all their clothes on when they step out of the tent. They are soaked within 1/2 mile of climbing.

3. Mentality. I see 2 common issues here. First thinking they will freeze to death when temps dip into the teens or single digits. Low humidity makes it not so cold. Second is the grind itself. Hiking and climbing steep slopes at high altitude day after day is hard. I find guys are good for about 2 days then they start hunting near camp/truck - with everybody else. And the elk have moved to hard to reach places - steep slopes or distance from everyone else.

These are things I concentrate on when planning for new guys each fall. Getting in shape is 10:1 the biggest issue.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.