Some very good things for new hunters to learn is the use of maps and compass. When you know for sure where you are going to be hunting, get 7.5 minute series maps of your area and take some time when you get there to familiarize yourselves with the land and the maps. All the young ones need to know the land and the corresponding maps. Some say "they will be with me so they don't need to" Not good! You see, they need to LEARN and that's some of the best part of teaching young hunters. So make that part of the hunt. The Rocky Mountains are not forgiving and from a very young age it's good for outdoorsmen to know and understand where to go and where not to. Map and compass are your friends.

Small things to have them carry that are "worth pure gold" when you need them are
Swiss Army Knife
Hat with a bill or rim.
Sun glasses
Road flare (emergency fore making, in addition to standard matches)
Plastic Police whistle. Plastic is better if it's very scold then metal.
Pack saw. (note, many folder today are not string in the hinge. Get GOOD ones)
Eze-Lap Knife Sharpener
Chap-sticks (good for dry hands too)
Water and water purifiers, so in some cases you can drink what you find if your bottles runs dry
Toilet paper.
20-30 feet of light strong rope per pack.

When I was in the Marines I taught my men the "survival pattern". It serves as well to a hunter as it does for a US Marine.

The foundations are:
Weapons.
First Aid
Fire
Shelter (including clothing)
Signal(communications)
food/water

If at all possible plan to get there 4 days early. Missouri is lower in altitude and once you get to 5000-10,000 feet above sea level you will find no amount of working out will prepare you for that much altitude. Only "light duty" over a few days can acclimate your body to a 1-2 mile change in altitude. Go slowly at first and let your bodies get used to the thinner air. Acute altitude sickness is no joke.