I had my right shoulder replaced 2 years ago. It was a conventional replacement, not a reverse. The reverse procedure results in greater incapacity and restrictions than the conventional, and you don't specify which procedure you are having done.

My shoulder was a mess before surgery, except the rotator was not too bad. A lifetime of shooting big rifles and shotguns, plus decades of splitting firewood with a maul, pretty much destroyed it. The surgery was done in April and recovery was not exactly a recreational experience, but I tolerated it well. I did the PT faithfully. For the first 6 months I didn't do any shooting, and at 7 months or so, I had no desire to shoot anything bigger than a .223. I did shoot 4 or 5 shots with a 20-gauge shotgun at grouse that fall, with no ill effects.

At one year I was able to tolerate shooting a .30/06 for 20 rounds offhand. Now at 2 years, I can shoot a round of clays or use the '06 from the bench without issues. I fired a .50 BMG the other day without even thinking about my shoulder (but only 1 shot). I did sell my belted magnums and 3 1/2" 12 Gauge. I figure if it can't be killed with a .30/06 or a 2 3/4" shotshell, I am done hunting it. But I really do not feel handicapped beyond that at this point.

Prior to surgery, my arm was in severe pain almost all the time. Now it is completely pain-free. And I can still enjoy shooting. The surgery was a godsend. I have also had both knees replaced and my cataracts done. Call me Bionic Bob. We have the technology......

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 01/18/22.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...