Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Originally Posted by bcraig
WellI found about 200 rounds of Federal .223 fmj in various different boxes in the house.
They were bought at a Wal Mart years ago,I suppose they are 55 Grain ?

Found 15 rounds of Corbon .223 53 Grain DPX(Dont appear to be Made anymore)were supposed to chrono at 3,000 fps from a 20 inch barrel according to the factory.

Found 12 rounds of Federal 60 grain Partition

Found 2 boxes of Hornady .223 Superformance 75 grain
Not sure if they are safe to fire in the carbine Gas system of a 10.5 inch barrel 5.56 semi Auto Pistol

I will have to call Hornady next week

Forgetting the Hornady until I talk with them.

And until I get some better ammo ,which ones from the above would you choose for the 10.5inch Pistol ?

Remember that 5.56 NATO is max 62K psi anyways, and 223 is max 55K psi. I would shoot them in a 5.56 chamber without hesitation.

Well I dont think that the Pressure difference is the main difference,But it seems like I remember reading somewhere that the difference was the pressure curve is the issue because to get the Superformance high velocity that Hornady had to change the pressure curve so that in essence there was more pressure sooner than Non Superformance ammo.
seems like I remember them recommending to use a rifle gas system from a 20 inch barrel to keep the action from opening too soon.
I will get the skinny on the ammo next week From Hornady and pass along here what they tell me.

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money