I class large parts of the US as more free than Australia. Personally I dont care about personal security. I have no problem with a society where you arrange it yourself. I worked for a while in the US, New England area and even those states felt more free to me. Folks werent wearing wearing bike helmets where I was(almost a jailable offence in Australia these days not to), I saw jacked up cars, fat tires, guns in pickups, all big no-nos here. I did an EMT course when I was there, took the NREMT(national) exam , got state registration even as a non citizen- no one minded at all. The local ambulance were delighted to have me ride along. I remember asking if it was legal and they sort of looked at me strange and laughed. I started my EMT-P course( full paramedic course) by distance through a group in Texas, they bent over backwards to let me enrol, do clinicals etc even being an Australian. I remember visiting my first walmart, bought a half dozen things, I recall a few shirts, shoes, shaving gear etc, had $50 ready to handoever at the checkout and nearly fell over when the chick said something like " $18". Hit me how high the price of living back home is. I only visited Boston and flew into Atlanta as far as larger cities go.Im sure there are a lot of areas in a country that size I would NOT like but there does appear to be some bastions of freedoms I still would