Originally Posted by Marine77
I guess I may be resurrecting an old thread here but I just joined this forum to respond to this post by saying I just purchased a Burris Sig HD in 3-15X44 ILL where the other scopes on my shortlist were Vortex's 4-16X44 Viper ($599) Leupold 4.5-14X40 VX3HD ($749) and 4-16X42 VX5HD ($999) and for the price point?...was left unimpressed by Leupolds soft clicking turrets that actually felt mushy as compared to the others along with side focus hash marks on the VX5 that read 75yds when it was focused at a known 100yd object and speaking of side focus hash marks?...the lack of them on the Burris Sig HD was disconcerting to me until I picked up a $1,200 Zeiss Z4 5-25 and noticed it's SF had no hash marks either where I concluded if Leupolds SF hash marks could be off by 25%?...maybe it's not a great idea to use SF hash marks as an impromptu rangefinder anyways and that said?....the glass on the chinese made Burris Sig HD was actually awesome and I dare say rivaled the (twice the price) Loopy VX5 glass for brightness and edge-to-edge clarity and the EDC3 reticle of the Burris blew the others away in that I too believe it to be an "Etched Glass" reticle....it's just way cleaner looking in appearance and real easy on the eyes in what appears to be a real handy, user friendly layout.

I personally found the Illuminated crosshair feature to be awesome in that there's no "Staring Into The Deep Blue Sky" method of focusing the reticle/ocular necessary because I noticed that that little blurry red flare of a crosshair cleaned right up to a crisp edged + sign by simply focusing the ocular eyepiece which in turn brought the entire reticle into crystal clear focus.

I pretty much had my heart set on the Leupold VX5 and a knot in my gut as I walked into Bass Pro knowing I was getting ready to drop a grand on it but that knot in my gut went away as I confidently strolled out with my new Burris Sig HD and $500 to spare.

FWIW?...it's replacing a 30 year old Bushnell on a Ruger M77 Mark II All Weather (aka: "Boat Paddle") in .270win...weather permitting I'll put it through its paces this Friday including boxing it out and post the results here if y'all like

For under $500.00 the Burris Signature HD 3-15x44mm - E3 MOA - Illuminated is a great scope that competes with scope much more expensive.

The versatility the Signature HD 3-15x44 scope shines for shooters needing bright, clear view sat a wide range of distances. The choice of either the Ballistic E3 Illuminated or Plex reticle delivers accurate shots both near and far. Precise side parallax focus, push/pull and zero-stop locking turrets give shooters complete control.

Mid-range scope in hunting and target models (low and high knobs)

• Choice of illuminated or non-illuminated MOA reticles
• 5x zoom system with premium, multi-coated glass for crisp, bright images
• New push/pull locking turrets
• Available with a wide choice of front and rear focal plane reticles
• Side parallax adjustment on most models
• Zero stop feature on all target knobs

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]