Started using a Tritronics collar after attending a John and Phyllis Dobbs class in 1978 I think. A very basic model featuring an extendable metal antenna and one setting - Fry. Closest "modern" model I can think of would be the Trash-breaker. I had that collar for almost 30 years until it was lost in the mail for servicing.

Upgraded to a 100LR after taking another Dobbs class where avoidance and aversion techniques were taught. Upgraded to a 2 dog 500LR a couple years later but seldom used the momentary setting and running two dogs with one transmitter was a hopeless cause. Sold that and switched to Upland Specials when they came out to get the receiver and beeper on one collar.

The Upland 2 was the apex of collars in my mind. No power plugs, adjustable continuous at the transmitter, momentary shock at high setting on whatever transmitter was set at, and good range. The Upland 3 brought out after Garmin took over is a bridge too far as it is more complicated and offers too many options. I use it on my finished dogs mostly for the tone and vibrate functions as well as one of my wife's dogs for its bark limiter feature. I added a Dogtra collar many years ago as their similar collar worked much like the Upland 2. It also has different beep patterns/sounds which helps when running multiple dogs at a time. Dogtra will be my new go to brand unless they muck up their collars like Garmin.

After 40 years I am a believer in ecollars. There is no better way of stopping bad habits from starting or controlling the dog from a distance. There is a learning curve involved and many blame the collar for poor results rather than the user. I've taken 4 classes from the Dobbs, several others from various collar manufacturers, and countless pointers from fellow training club members- professional and amateur. I am still learning new uses or being reminded of old. They are a valuable addition to one's training tools.