Originally Posted by Ghostman
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
What are the thoughts on here?

As usual, my thoughts aren't gonna meld well with the gun dog crowd. I've never even needed to think about force fetching as a way to get a dog to retrieve. Not fan of compulsive training. Its not necessary.

Maybe true for an average Joe bird hunter who is willing to put up with mediocre performance. Run field trials, Master Hunter level hunt tests, NAVHDA Utility level tests and see how far you'll get without force fetch training.

Interesting statement...when in fact hunting wild Birds is most likely more demanding of a Dog, than the mostly artificial game of trials. Where nit picking the fine points often determines the winner. Combined with, "Joe has been at the game a long time, this may be this last chance for a Championship." wink A great Ruffed Grouse or wild Pheasant Dog being the prime example.. I've seen a couple "best" Ruffed Grouse Dogs that never retrieved a Bird, however they were a "best" and few trial Dogs would even come close to them in the field at their game. One average Joe, had Lacy a Setter...Slow and cruised thru the covers at an easy gait. She pointed feet away and 50 yards or so away. Broke point and sneaked or circled them to finish her end of the game. At least 300 Ruffed Grouse spent their last moments in front of her nose.I doubt a trial Dog every existed that was her equal on Grouse.

Dave Duffy has a better than recognized reputation in hunting Dog circles and gives some food for thought. The conclusion last sentence is interesting...

https://www.gundogmag.com/editorial/training_gd_trial_1109/175848

Last edited by battue; 05/22/22.

laissez les bons temps rouler