Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by woodmaster81
Originally Posted by 79S
Buddy told me more dogs been ruined with e-collars. So no thanks..

Is your buddy saying he has ruined more dogs with an ecollar than not? Or, is he stating he knows a larger number of people who do not know the proper use of an ecollar than those that do? An ecollar is merely a tool which has no ability in and of itself to make or break a dog.

Instead, it is up to the user to acquire the knowledge to properly use the tool to its best advantage. An ecollar is not the best tool for someone to learn by trial and error, especially for the dog. Blaming the ecollar for the shortcomings of the user is not something I would expect from a knowledgable trainer.

He’s seen people (not trainers)improperly use them. They start hitting the shock button for stupid chit and the dog has no idea what they did wrong. If we were to do it with our youngest lab it would be with a trainer. No way in hell I do it, not saying I’m a idiot who would shock the dog for no reason, but I’m not comfortable doing it.

He sounds like an idiot.Shock is only used for life threatening situations. I use lower shock setting to break dogs at young age chasing, deer, rattle snakes. and other critters they are not to supposed with leave it command. Continuos shocking will quickly kill a dog's desire to hunt with you and ruin it.

. Vibrate or beep works great for training reinforcement. and II use a food reward in conjunction with ecollar on vibrate early in dog's training. After a month of sessions rarely have to use. I still will always have an e collar on while hunting for back up

Putting on e collar means fun times. Ive been fortunate to never have had to force fetch any of my dogs. Some at a year or so will have a stubborn streak and not complete fetch, get distracted and back on the long lead they go til over it. it end pretty quickly. Training should be enjoyable for both

Last edited by ribka; 05/10/22.