Originally Posted by AcesNeights
MD, I thought I had some Federal standard velocity 1oz 2 3/4” 12ga slugs but I might be mistaking them for the Winchester 1oz 2 3/4” standard velocity HP slugs that I have. If you can use a box of the Winchesters I’m happy to send them to you. If I find the Federal load that you mentioned I’d be happy to send those as well….just pm an address and they’re yours.

PS….congrats you lucky dog on your moose tag. I know that of all the great guys here you’re the last one that I need to remind to post your hunting adventure. I look forward to your future write up and I wish you much success filling your freezer. Moose is one of my favorite table fare of all big game.

Thanks for the offer (and I also thank the others who've offered slug ammo), but the reason we bought the Federal standard velocities was Eileen's recoil headaches--which were starting to get worse when she drew her cow tag in 2007. The typical "magnum" slug loads available were way over the top for her, but she could shoot a couple of the Federals without suffering.

Right now we have probably several hundred slug loads of various kinds, including both 12 and 20-gauge, due to the non-rifle WMA being so close--it starts basically on the edge of town. Eileen has been using Winchester's 20-gauge sabot load with .45-caliber, 250-grain Nosler Partitions on deer since her moose adventure. They get around 1800 fps and work great on the whitetails on the WMA. I also used one on a big-bodied Iowa buck some years ago, which went through both shoulders and exited. I am also pretty sure they'd work on a cow moose, but have plenty of options there.

I'll also probably hunt in the local mountains, where we've found several good moose areas over the years, especially when hunting mountain grouse in September, when the moose season opens. For that I'll probably use the custom Griffin & Howe 1903 Springfield .30-06 I acquired this winter.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck