Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
Congrats on the moose permit. If you need a moose and grizzly rifle I'll loan you my 270win, no need for an 30-06.

Seriously, I have had the misfortune of bringing out 4 moose in North idaho for friends and family who drew a permit. I hate brush and there's some nasty places I went into.

Thanks for the offer, but I have a couple of .270s, and know the cartridge would work just fine--partly by having watched my wife drop a Shiras bull quite suddenly with a quartering-away lung shot with her .270, using the 150 Nosler Partition.

But probably won't use either, not because they wouldn't work but because have had a grizzly try to move in one of the moose I've killed. Would be happy to hunt grizzly with a .270, but during that instance (in northern British Columbia) I was glad to have my 9.3x62 when taking apart a big bull moose alongside my guide. Turned out the grizzly changed its mind, perhaps because the horse's raised such a ruckus--but still felt better with the 9.3x62 than I would have with a .270. This was partly because we had to ride out a couple days later past the moose carcass,
and the grizzly was sitting down 100 yards from the trail, belly huge with moose parts. He was stuffed enough that all he did was watch us ride by, but he was also bigger than any grizzly I've seen in Montana, or the 7-1/2 foot boar I killed in Alaska a few years later.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck