Didn't even go moose hunting until three days ago, due to extreme heat and smoke.

Went out early that morning to the same area where Eileen killed a cow when she drew a tag some years ago. Didn't see any moose sign, and when they're in there its pretty abundant.

Same thing when I "scouted" a nearby area late this afternoon, by taking Lena the Labrador bird-hunting. Didn't expect to see any moose--and didn't want to kill one late in the afternoon anyway, due to the abundant coyotes in the area and the 70-degrees temps. This was also prime moose habitat, where we've seen a number over the years--but never saw any sign.

While I was doing that, Eileen was home doing some socializing (including writer-gack info sharing)) with a good friend, the wife of the local game department wildlife biologist. She said he thinks the moose population is down compared to the past few years, probably partly due to several being road-killed a couple years ago--and a bad winter.

But its a long season, the hunting unit is a big one, and there are a bunch of other areas where we've encountered moose over the years. Just have to keep hunting!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck