Originally Posted by BWilson
Originally Posted by haverluk
Mr. Wilson,

I know that you and your team will do it right but please keep the option for a custom LOP.

It is an option, but when we build a gun to sell it will have a 13" LOP

I'm not sure there is a industry "standard" on LOP, throughout all brands 12.5, 13, 13.25, 13.5 and 14 are all used.

Personally I like short and lightweight guns (all my ARs have a 12.5" LOP carbon fiber stock or has the adj stock set at 12.5". If you feel 13" is too short, just move your support hand slightly further up the forearm which will bring the butt back into your shoulder.

I understand why a "standard" LOP would be appropriate for a production rifle. I am 6'6" and prefer a 14.5 to 15" LOP for all-around use on a bolt rifle. Anything under 14" is uncomfortably short using that same shooting style you have described above. My current NULA M20 in 308 has a 14.5" LOP and is comfortable but would not want it any shorter. A custom / semi-custom was the main draw for many to Melvin's rifles. The ability to get a LW rifle that fit me was a huge draw for me.

The Colt light rifle, Forbes and Barrett iterations were production rifles. The Barrett was the only successful rifle IMO. I also appreciate the Kimber Montana rifles but it fits my 6 and 8 year old kids better as a "youth" rifles than it does me as a large adult man.

I know that you will make awesome rifles for the masses but I hope that does not alienate the folks that came to Melvin for a custom rifle not just a lightweight rifle.

Semper Fi