Over time your favorite easy shooting loads might change. Took my model 70 30-06 to the range last week. First time I've shot it in about four years. With scope it weighs in at 7&3/4 lbs. Around nine years ago about when I hit seventy I started using a relatively mild load of 50 grs of 4064 with a 150 gr bullet. I could put 50 rounds through it in a morning or afternoon and never think about it. It's an accurate load in that rifle and I really enjoyed shooting it. This time I was feeling it at 15 rounds. Tried a lighter load, 50 grs of 4895 with 125 gr bullets and didn't like that one much better. Quit after ten rounds. Woke up that night and the next with a sore shoulder.

I was initially surprised at this as I think I'm in good shape for my age, go to the range about every week and shoot rifles most of the time with no thought to recoil. After thinking about it though the rifles I've been shooting for the past few years are old Mausers that are at least a pound heavier than my Model 70 with light, around 35 grs of powder, starter loads or various 223s. The substantial increase in powder, 15 grs. with my 30-06 load even though it's considered a mild load makes a big difference.