Originally Posted by Bugger
Birthday today. Still have not reached 80. I don’t shoot 250+ grain bullets near 3,000 FPS at the sit down bench anymore. I’ve sold my 338’s and only my 375 H&H AI is capable of that. For some reason the felt recoil on the 375 seems lower than the 338’s. (Weight is likely the reason) I used to shoot 338’s all the time including whitetail, usually with 250 grain partitions. Made good practice for elk.
That 375 only gets shot while I’m standing up and I have a stand up bench for that. I keep thinking it might be possible that I can still go to Africa and go after Cape - but seems unlikely more and more each year.
Happy birthday! Been thinking lately of putting my 375 on the block as I don't see any more safaris in my future. I'm just a punk compared to some, be 69 next month.
The 270 and Roberts seem to have more and more appeal.
43shooter,
Just a folded up towel can make a big difference in recoil if you really want to shoot off the bench. Of course shooting from field positions is usually easier, if you can get into field positions that is.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor