Across my several decades I've known 2 RN's that got hooked and ruined their careers. Long hours, occasional stress, ready availability, and a need for a little pick me up got them hooked. Eventually, inventories and some detective work found them out.

Don't really know, but I think there might be some genetic aspects to addictions. Seems there's no fighting it for some and others do one go around and never come back.

With a couple of minor medical deals (wisdom teeth and minor surgeries) I've been given some pain killers. Never did anything for me, and I rarely if ever consumed a full prescription.

Lost a distant nephew a couple years back. Likely a fentanyl laced heroin shot. Buddies left the body in the bedroom, took his credit card, and went out for a night of partying.

Cookie's (my wife) dad was a rabid alcoholic/smoker and died in his 50's. One has to sneak it into the punch bowl to get her to take a drink. We worry about our son who we think was clean as a whistle up through high school. After three months of rooming with his buddies post dropping out of college, he came home hooked on nicotine and really heavy into alcohol. Still is, and communications from prior girlfriends really point a finger at booze as a deal breaker. Hope and pray that he never samples anything else.

Might just be the circles I move in, but addiction seems more common among the folks that can least afford it.

Last edited by 1minute; 08/12/22.

1Minute