When young enough to perhaps be vulnerable, I was fortunate because in most aspects of my life I encountered almost no alcoholics and zero of the habit forming drug users. But, in one particular aspect I encountered a growing number of drug users.

Most of those were using pot (Mary Jane), but some talented folks who were trying to break some sort of new ground and be inventive were using heroin. They spoke of getting into an "alpha state" where creative ideas flowed more readily and they were able to execute the physical demands more freely. Saw that quite a bit - but did not grasp the phenomenon and never was even tempted to try it. But, those experiences enabled me to more easily recognize the symptoms.

As time passed, I realized that many who became very good in the field and who gained recognition for that also were ridden by some serous habits and the ongoing need for the fix. Almost always a dead end street. To this day I am deeply impressed by, and grateful for, those who quit such habits and make it stick.

What has really become alarming over time is the growing number of people - especially young people - using heroin and/or whatever simply to escape the realities of their lives, or for some similar purpose. Apparently heroin and other drugs have been cheap enough to manage that. But, the drugs undermine almost every good thing in their nature and they are hollowed out. It has gone on to crazy levels since those early days and many of you probably understand the extent and effects far better than do I. Somehow we seem to accept alcoholism as less onerous, but it definitely is not.

What is the cure for such problems? Although somewhat knowledgeable of users, I am not smart enough to propose a good answer. On the individual basis, healthy and heavy self-respect, strong core values and sense of self-worth seem to be the best bet for avoidance of the plague, but a deterrent or cure for the larger social problem escapes me. Maybe those who take the position of Pugs have it right.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron