Originally Posted by Steve
What if someone gets strung out because they were over prescribed. Wife had thyroid surgery and they gave her an ungodly amount of opiates. So much that the pharmacist told me that they didn't have that much in stock.

Not saying that people shouldn't take personal responsibility, but a little helping hand might be needed. That said I also understand that loved ones can only do so much and may have to refuse to help after getting shidt stolen, etc.

We really need to bring back forcibly committing some people to hospitals. They don't go, then off to jail with them.

I hear you on legalizing it, though. One look at the sea of homeless camps in Portland should be proof of what a failure that's been.

When I had my first eye surgery, the doc sent me to the pharmacy with a stack of prescriptions, eyedrops this and that, oh, and a bottle full of oxy. Not for any surgery related pain, but for “possible” muscle pain from having to sit in a down facing position for six weeks.

Being plenty naive in the area of drugs, I had no idea what oxy was. NOBODY, not the doc, not the nurse, not the pharmacy tech or the pharmacist made any mention of this being an opiate, potentially addictive, or side effects. Just here, take these.

I’m blessed with a constitution that’s not particularly addictive. I kicked cigarettes early in life, and other than a few youthful indiscretions with hashies and pot, an occasional drink is my only vice. I took one oxy, and it was definitely not for me. Weird buzzy feeling, no thanks. Alternating Tylenol and Ibuprofenwere as effective, anyway.

Like I said, I consider myself blessed, but someone who experiences the high more intensely would have had a more than fair chance at being hooked without ever even knowing what risk they were taking.

No different, really, than a street dealer lacing pot with fentanyl in an attempt to hook users. People are ensnared before they even know they are at risk.

Sic Semper Tyrannis