Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by Garandimal
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by Garandimal
Have gone round-n-round looking at the new "long range" hunting cartridges... but think that a 24"/1:8 twist long-throated .270 Win and 150 gr. ABLR's, at ~ 3,000 fps at the muzzle, should do nicely. GR

Why would it need a 1:8 twist for 150 ABLRS?

Not specifically, but have seen testing where they don't reach full BC potential from a 1:10 twist Bbl.

You are probably looking at Bryan Litz's numbers, which basically work but also don't take into account plastic-tipped bullets. The guy who devised the present twist-rate formula, the late Don Miller, eventually discovered that plastic tips don't count very much in overall bullet length, because of their light weight. When using plastic-tips, a more accurate formula is JBM Ballistics', which includes an input for tip length. It indicates that stability is more than enough to maximize BC at typical mule deer/elk temps and altitudes.

I also wonder why you would consider the same 150 ABLR load adequate to a lesser range than elk than deer. Are you one of those who believes in a certain minimum amount of foot-pounds at impact for various animals?

Came across this a while back the first time I started lookin' at this project:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Never hunted elk.

But they are bigger than mule deer and Minnesota white tails.

So, w/ relative SD and bullet construction, will plug 1500 ft-lbs for elk and 1250 ft-lbs for big deer and hogs, along w/ associate impact velocities.

GR