Originally Posted by Bugger
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
I don't understand the word "Hunt" and "600 yards" in the same sentence. Shooting at 600 yards is shooting. I don't think it has anything to do with hunting.
Define "hunt," and you'll quickly see that distance has nothing to do with it. Of course, there are different ways to hunt and perhaps you only subscribe to a subset of those ways, but that's doesn't mean that everything else is not hunting.

I disagree! When you shoot something that can see you - you are in plain sight of them, and they are not scared. You actually call that hunting?
You've never shot anything that was in plain sight of you and not scared?

As far as being in plain sight of them but at such a distance that they were not scared. I have, I was young. But I am ashamed to have done it. It was not hunting by any possible meaning of the word hunting. It was just plain shooting. Shooting and killing doesn't equal hunting, though shooting and killing is a part of hunting. Shooting in plain sight of an animal and they can plainly see you not being scared has absolutely nothing to do with hunting!
I tend to agree. For instance shooting prarie dogs from 600 yards away by the hundreds has nothing to do with hunting. It's just long range target shooting using live targets. I couldn't call it hunting by any stretch. I've posted this here before too. There is a field on the hillside across the valley from my home. I have ranged a large white pine at the woodline along the edge of that field at 880 yards from my front porch. Deer come out to feed in that field frequently, sometimes during deer season. I can go out in my yard in plain sight of those deer, start my car, drive down my driveway, stack wood, run my snow blower, you name it and they pay no attention. I have no doubt I could set up a bench rest in my yard and there are people here who could and would shoot those deer, brag about the shot and call that hunting. It's not to me.