Originally Posted by Bugger
I never thought this thread would get so many responses. I maintain what I said earlier. Flunk Hunting 101 and you'll need to shoot 600 yards.

I've read through this thread and there is good information, and one fellow seems to be full of it - Mr. Kindergarten man.
I remember reading about Taylor's formula and I bought into it. I also remember when 1,000 ft-lb's was considered minimum energy for killing whitetail and 2,000 ft-lb's was considered minimum for elk. There were a lot of theories...
I followed Elmer's writing, and I believed it then and I still think he was right regarding what his options were. All those things are in the past, things changed. MD's experience (other writers too) and writing has had a big influence on what I've come to believe. Though I've hunted up to 6 whitetails per year and 4 pronghorns plus now and then an elk. I believe that a 30-06 with a good 180 grain cup and core would have worked with every game animal I've taken. It's what I've used the most on deer. But in the last 20 years or so I want to try something new every time I go out.
My main shooting at 500 meters (or yards in some cases) were with M1's, M14's and Springfield's all with aperture sights. But I've also shot at PD's at that range and further with big game rifles for practice. It proved to me that shooting at game animals at over 400 yards is not my cup of tea and I prefer 100 yards or so if possible.

Some of the issues with long range shooting is something I don't see discussed much. Those are:
Where did that animal go after it was shot?
Will I be able to find the game?
Will the bullet/load create enough of a blood trail at that distance?
Will I find the game animal during daylight?
Will the game animal run down a ravine, and will I have to carry the meat out?

I like your post bugger. All of those things should be considered for sure. Something every ethical hunter should be thinking about, but not worrying so much about that it affects the shot. You set a limit on yourself, as every ethical hunter should. Like I said earlier, know your abilities and stay within those parameters. Don't take pop shots, which I've seen idiot hunters do. Be sure of your equipment and your abilities and know how to read conditions. Don't take the shot if conditions are not right. What you fail to understand, though, is people have different skill sets. They may not match yours. To some, a 600 yard shot is a cake walk. Pretty simple really.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA