Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Blackheart
The ability to shoot 600+ yards ain't gonna do you a bit of good around here.

True if you're talking about offhand shooting skills. If you're using a field rest the ability to hit the target at long ranges makes hitting at short ranges seem easy.
I practice shooting off hand year round because that's how I shoot most of my deer. At the ranges I typically shoot them {rarely more than 80 yards} I have no need for a rest and hitting without one is easy. The one exception to that in many years was a 270 yard shot I took last season. I sat down and rested my rifle alongside a small tree for that one. That was the only deer I've shot that was farther than 100 yards away in many years {new hunting spot with a field} and also the only one that I used a rest for. I hit that deer just exactly where I intended to and that was surely a miracle because I was using a Leopold scope to aim with and everybody knows what a steaming POS they are. LOL
Like any hillbilly worthy of the name I can hold SUB MOA off a rolled up jacket on the hood of a pickup and can do right well from an improvised rest when needed.

Amen. I definitely understand what you’re saying. I’m sure we travel similar ground.

Then on the flip side of hunting elk and deer in the west I see the value of the other way of doing it as well.

Being a decent person with a gun and being able to adapt is all part of the game.

Semper Fi