Originally Posted by Raferman
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by Blackheart
We do put limits on what technology can be employed with respect to sportsmanship, ethics and what constitutes "fair chase". The question is whether or not the technology that allows the killing of game at ranges beyond which they can detect danger constitutes fair chase hunting practice. I tend to think it does not.

Another comment I'd like to make is on this broad comment by Blackheart--which implies that hunters in general have a broad consensus of what "fair chase" means.

They do not. I've been lucky enough to hunt in over half of the 50 United States, along with over a dozen other countries, some of them several times. The regulations concerning legal "weapons" vary considerably, including cartridges, bullet diameters and weights, as well as bows, muzzleloaders, etc. Legal shooting hours also vary considerably: While most American states (and Canadian provinces) pretty much stick to a half-hour before sunrise to a half-hour after sunset for "game" animals, some allow an hour before and after. Some states and countries also allow all-night shooting--some only for certain animals, and some not.

There are also widely varying laws about the use of artificial lights, baiting, etc. In fact in some parts of the world (including in the U.S) I have talked to hunters who are completely baffled by how somebody might hunt a wild big game animal by just going out and looking for them--rather than sitting near to a pile of potatoes, a "greenfield", an automatic corn-feeder--or sitting in a stand where trained dogs push animals near the hunter.

Some allow hunting any sort of big game with dogs, while others ban it completely. A few allow night- or dog-hunting for some species, but not others.

If I included the methods allowed for fishing this could go on forever--but my main point is that no, there is no consensus "on what technology can be employed with respect to sportsmanship, ethics and what constitutes 'fair chase'."

It might seem so to somebody who's only hunted in a very limited part of the world, such as Blackheart in New York. But there is no world-wide, sport-hunting consensus on what constitutes "fair chase."
I'm aware of all of that and did not intend to imply broad consesus about what is sporting or fair chase across state lines. And here you are increasing your post count on this thread again.
Could be you're an [bleep] Blacky.
Could be {whatever "bleep" is}. But I like me better than anybody else I've ever met. Could be you're one too. In fact, I'm pretty sure of it.