Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
There he lies. Damn him
Colonel Benteen’s words On locating Custer’s corpse.
Reno and Benteen and most of their men were convinced in their own minds that Custer had abandoned them and rode off northward to join Terry’s column.
Many of the officers and men of the Seventh and other units identified Custer’s body, along with the fact that the Indians had not desecrated it.
Some of the Southern Cheyenne present claimed that he was a relative through his relationship with Mohnaseta after her capture at Washita.
I stated in a previous thread, that growing up in the 1970s, I had a decidedly negative opinion of Custer.
But the more I read about him, the more I have come to admire the General in spite of his faults.
His bravery and aggressiveness in battle had won him much recognition, and in his time he was viewed as a great leader and a hero by many.
The admiration unfortunately didn’t extend to some of his subordinate officers though, namely especially was Benteen, along with Colonel Reno.
Their dislike of the General sowed the seeds of defeat at The Little Bighorn.
7mm

This is much how I have viewed Custer and the battle. He was much more the heroic figure than many recognize. His accomplishments are legion, though not without some failure. Show me the perfect man and you will still find detractors, critical of his faults and disregarding his successes.

Most of the criticism comes from the ignorant…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]