Originally Posted by Hastings
Shrapnel: Do you think Reno was drunk at the time he led the attack on the south end? Do you believe the Custer battalion would have survived had Benteen rode through Reno's defeated battalion without stopping to combine and organize them? I suspect the whole outfit would have been destroyed.

I know it is said you ride to the sound of the guns, but Benteen did "come On" and did "bring packs". And I'm sure it was obvious to him that Reno was in no condition to command troops. He was at the village and Reno did either order or ask Benteen to stay and help him saying "I've lost half my men".

I'm leaving Louisiana for Montana on the 5th and will pickup my wife at the Bozeman airport on the 10th. Depending on how it goes on my wandering trip to Montana I may go to the LBH before or after the 10th. The battle has become very interesting to me and I'll admit feeling some sympathy for Benteen.

I've wondered why Custer didn't give Benteen or Tom the hugely important attack on the south end.

I suspect he didn't like Benteen's (and my) preference for keeping the whole outfit together because of the probability of the Indians escaping to the hills.

I would consider a trip to the battlefield if I am not hunting elk.

There is too much “probability” and “maybe” to discuss on this forum. I live within 3 miles of the airport, get in touch and we could visit about it. I would discuss the aspects with you and use the proper resources to help create the best image of what really happened. It is always subjective once you look at the data and try to recreate the battle and what went wrong vs what was planned.

One thing most people don’t know is Custer wasn’t wrong in his plan to take the village, but a lot of things did go wrong and Custer gets the blame…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]