Originally Posted by Mule Deer
One thing a few historians have mentioned is that, aside from Custer's aggressive tactics during the War Between the States, he gained a lot of confidence (perhaps over-confidence) in his overwhelming "victory" over the big Cheyenne village on the Washita River in Oklahoma in November of 1868. It was also relatively large, and strung out along a river--but I have visited both sites (the LBH many times) and they are very different in terrain, despite both being plains areas. And the Cheyennes on the Washita were really surprised--unlike the LBH.
I read an Indian account that said they were surprised and didn't know Custer's cavalry was in the area. But I can't recall the source. I've read a bunch about the battle and for awhile I was on a LBH message board where things were discussed and argued ad nauseum. Everything I've read and heard has kind of run together. Anyway the Indian said they thought it was Crook coming back at them from the Rosebud battle.

It seems to me there would have been a dust cloud kicked up by Custer's bunch that someone out 2000 or more Indians would have seen.

I am going back to the LBH battlefield this September.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."