Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by Lee_Woiteshek
Is it true that no weapons from the fallen 7th Cav members were ever recovered? Or personal effects?
The Indians made off with the guns and ammo and actually used the very effective Springfield .45 caliber rifles and ammo in their unsuccessful attempt to dislodge the Reno- Benteen defenders.

I have a few items from the battlefield and adjacent property that we have worked on as we have been pursuing just this aspect of the battle. Hundreds of books have been written about the battle, but little is known about this stuff. What we have been seeking is the whereabouts of the lost artifacts that were taken from the bodies on the Battlefield.

There is historical evidence of the existence of this stuff, but very little and hardly any knowledge to it's location. Finding out these tidbits of information isn't easy and you have to be careful of what your sources are. This book that was written by Meketa, Bookwalter and Weibert, is one of those rare resources that helps define where things started and where they ended. I doubt many even know of it's existence let alone how to get a copy.

Another resource is the Book Custer in 1876, which is a collection of the documents that Walter Mason Camp compiled as he interviewed Indian and Cavalry survivors about the battle, years after it was no longer a threat to the Indian's welfare.

I have quite a collection of different books and periodicals to help assist us in our search for the lost artifacts.

I have a lot more, but it takes time to post and time to read what you post, so it is best sometimes to be brief, and answer questions as they arise.

Meanwhile, you keep running into the rumor mill and the loyal followers that keep spewing the same uniformed diatribe that is puzzling, but for some reason those people are as certain that the stories they heard through the grapevine are as valid as exhausting research.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]