...and newbie collectors not being able to afford this stuff.

What's left? Middle aged guys with more money than good sense buying/hoarding stuff that drives the guys on either end of the time spectrum out of the game, simply because they are driven to accumulate "stuff"? Could be that's the way it's always been. Case in point: I've developed a keen interest in vintage single shot rifles at a point pretty late in my life, and find the best/most interesting stuff to be far outside my relatively fixed income. Would that I had delved into them in my middle years when the costs were lower and/or I had the money to indulge. I actually had a very keen interest in them when I was young, but didn't have the means to pursue them, and then interests shifted.

The whole "collector" mindset has always kind of baffled me. I've never felt compelled to acquire complete sets of anything, be it silver dollars, stamps, baseball cards, pokemon dolls, or guns. I accumulate stuff that bears against what's required to pursue my interests du jour, and when those interests fade that stuff goes away to make room/finance the next interest. What I have collected though is a pretty wide range of knowledge - which is something that doesn't go away (at least until Father Time has his way). And that, dear hearts, is the best kind of collection IMO.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 09/04/22.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty