Several years ago I was working in the Trinity/Shasta area in Northern California. Myself and two other guys took off on a 4 night back packing trip to some high mountain lakes. We had been hiking for a few hours just plodding along and came to an opening in the forest and as we walked into to clearing something got up in the brush on the other side of the clearing, probably 200 yds away, it stood upright and walked off into to timber. All I can tell you is that it was covered in hair/fur and looked huge and it was definitely walking upright. I’m assuming it was a bear the we walked up on and spooked and it was trying to see us better over the brush. It was so freaky and it scared the hell out of one the guys. He was insisting that we turn around but we finally got him calmed down. I was trying to get over to where we saw it but it was so boggy and muddy that there was no good way to get over where we saw it without taking a big detour from the way we were heading. Based on what we saw I can absolutely see how big foot sightings come about.