Originally Posted by barm
My third experience happened in the spring around spring gobbler season. I was driving up the tree cut road to the spot where I would shoot my rifles. I would go shooting up here weekly and I had my labrador retriever with me. She always enjoyed the trips up to the mountain and she would be so excited that she could barely stay in the truck. I would leave the window down and she would have her head out the window anxious to get out. Most of the time she would jump over me to get out of the truck because she loved it so much. This day was different. As we approached the area where I would set-up my portable shooting bench, I heard a loud noise up the mountain. I had the radio on so I couldn't quite make out the sound. I turned the radio down and stopped the truck. This time I heard a roar unlike anything I have ever heard. No human being could make a sound that loud. The roar was about 150 yards up the mountain in the next hollow (pronounced "holler" for the non-southerners) and sounded like it was angled away from me and slightly uphill. I remember thinking, "What the f*#% was that!"

I wanted to thank you for posting that. I too heard that roar. I was picking huckleberries in an area we and some other hunters had been in for a week and in that time had several strange and unexplained things happen. One of the hunters was a very soft spoken pastor and he reluctantly told us he had seen a sasquatch while sitting on a deer drive years before. He didn't like telling the story and it clearly affected him deeply. The two old guys had been standing around their campfire in a gravel pit when from the timber above their campsite, the one we stayed in while there, something threw a log through the air that landed in their campsite next to them and their campfire.

Anyway, as I picked huckleberries I noted the complete absence of any bear sign, which seemed strange to me. I was above the road about 20 yards from my truck when across the road down in the canyon, waaay down in the canyon, I heard an extremely loud roar like you describe. Way too far off to be anything but a very large animal but sounded like nothing we have in North America, or anywhere for that matter.

LOL