Originally Posted by Elkbelch
The closest experience I have was a 7mm T/cu with a 120 gr NBT at 30 yards on a large whitetail buck broadside. I had good lung blood for a while then it dwindled to small spots. I believe I hit a rib and didn't get penetration to both lungs. Never recovered the buck. This was from a 14" Contender with a scope and is very accurate with that load. We tracked the deer for a very long way before we lost all blood. If you know you can do it' why ask an internet forum for others experience? You had to know the answers you would get. The mono bullet will help if you get the expansion you need. I would still feel better with the 30-30 170 gr but I have no elk experience with that either. I did kill a bull with a 230 gn 54 cal round ball at 110 yards.

Shawn
Years ago I used a 7 br for deer alot, I switched from 120 gr Nosler to 140 gr Nos BT because it killed better with more expansion. Seems counter productive but the 120 gr bullet is tougher and Does not work as well out of single shot pistols.....