I don’t usually speak in forums but I actually signed up on this one because of this topic
I live in north idaho and hunt public lands all over the panhandle My ethics varies if it’s safe ok if it’s legal it depends on why it’s illegal but if there is a good chance that I can’t put the animal down quickly and humanely that’s not ok with me
The only requirement in idaho for big game is that it is center fire cartridge so you would be legal
Due to the covid cash and the biden bucks I had the money to get bunch of ar stuff 300blk being one of them soon as I saw it nah that aint going to happen so it is looking for a new owner didn’t waste the time putting it together I opted for 6.5 grendel after looking at ballistics and some of these gel videos it actually looks usable well I killed a old bear with it but it took four rounds 129gr eld hornady I think the two middle ones could have been me
First one broadside lungs 130yrds
Last yr I took shot at bear again 130 yards dont know why but that’s where I see most animals
He just trotted off
In the fall elk season same story on two different elk
Ten years ago I built another bolt rifle 500asquare seventy five paces 577gr barnes bullet 2500fps broadside back edge of the shoulder five by five bull
Took forty five minutes in the dark to find him upside down in bunch of blow down trees and brush because I heard his last breath moan
They are tough and they don’t deserve to be wasted or tortured
Also I don’t give up easily on finding animals anywhere from four hours to ten trying to find any sign and there are christmases without snow so it doesn’t make a hole all the way through not much chance of blood trail
Even 308 win hog hammer cartridge small muley 75 yrd broadside took three rnd the one I found on far side
Except for rifling marks you could have reloaded it
So I am back where I started with not using anything smaller than 250gr and 375+ caliber
77 is too old to walk very far just to see if the animal is there
I want to know I need to dress one
Bigholes