Originally Posted by TracksWapiti
I'm hunting with a suppressor that is 8.4" long, so barrel length is the main concern here. My 300 blk has a 16" barrel and my 308 has an 18" barrel. Plus 308 seems overkill at 25 yards, considering I've killed elk at 500 yards with similar cartridge.

Not to mention this 300 blk load meets the CPW regs just like the 243 Win ("you must use a rifle that fires expanding bullets with a minimum caliber of .24 cal. or 6mm, a minimum weight of 85 grains that delivers at least 1,000 ft. lbs. of energy at 100 yards")

Free country and you can do what you want, but if I owned a .308 I'd use the .308 Win. The .308 just opens up more opportunities, when things don't go as planned. I've rarely had a hunt go as I planned it in my head.

Legality doesn't directly correlate to whats ethical. If by chance CPW questions your legality, and uses Banes ammunition as a refrence you wont be legal in Colorado. Hunting big game with the .300 BLK as rated by manufacturer the Barnes Vor-TX ammunition with 120 grain Tac‐X bullet only has 949 ft-lbs of energy at 100 yards. So no, you're not as legal as a .243 Win.

Originally Posted by CO Big Game Legal Methods of Take
1. CENTERFIRE RIFLES

d. Must use expanding bullets that weigh a minimum of 70 grains for deer, pronghorn and bear, 85 grains for elk and moose, and have an impact energy (at 100 yards) of 1,000 ft.-pounds as rated by manufacturer.

If you're going to quote the reg, you need to quote the whole reg. Plus if you find yourself in legal trouble with the CPW over this cartridge do you want to afford the legal fees just to prove the internet wrong? It's so much easier to use the .308 Win and not have any worries.