Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by strat1080
My backup rifle is a 270 with 150 gr Partitions. Which I consider to be on the marfinsl side for Elk.

How many elk have you killed with this combo to lead you to this conclusion?
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by strat1080
My backup rifle is a 270 with 150 gr Partitions. Which I consider to be on the marfinsl side for Elk.

How many elk have you killed with this combo to lead you to this conclusion?

I think the 270 works fine on Elk. My comment was more of a denigration of the OP’s cartridge of choice than a slight of the 270. If I didn’t find the 270 sufficient for Elk I wouldn’t use it as my backup Elk rifle.

I used to do a lot of combination Mule Deer/Elk hunts and found that the 270 and 300 WM were an excellent combination for that type of hunting. The rifle I chose for a given day depended on the terrain I was hunting and what I expected to encounter. My 270 is significantly lighter than my 300 WM so sometimes that impacted my decision. Like I said, I didn’t find the 270 inadequate for Elk specifically, I just preferred the massive SD and energy of the 200 gr Partitions coming out of the 300 WM. I tend to load up the 130 gr Partition in the 270 and it’s a dandy performer. I think the 270 is the perfect mountain rifle cartridge. Good energy and ballistics with tolerable recoil in a lightweight rifle.

Last edited by strat1080; 10/19/22.