Originally Posted by TracksWapiti
Thanks for the feedback, fellas. Sounds like more opinions than experience in this case. The only reason I'm going down this road is because 300 blk with modern solid copper 120gr bullets retain 100% of their weight and penetrate the same as 30-30 Win with 170gr CoreLokt (which has killed a pile of elk in the timber).

I'm hunting with a suppressor that is 8.4" long, so barrel length is the main concern here. My 300 blk has a 16" barrel and my 308 has an 18" barrel. Plus 308 seems overkill at 25 yards, considering I've killed elk at 500 yards with similar cartridge.

Do yourself, (and the Elk) a favor and leave the 300 with the 8.4" long suppressor at home and bring your 308 with the 18" barrel. The 308 is plenty short to maneuver well in the brush. And even if there is a slim chance of breaking out into an opening and spotting an Elk out just past 200yds you will be glad you have it. I wouldn't risk an opportunity that may present itself. They are not always where you think they are gonna be. I killed a Bull Elk at 286yds thinking where I was hunting my shot would be under 100yds. I'm glad I had enough gun. Just saying, Its your tag. Good Luck.