Originally Posted by ol_mike
Lay some clothing down hopefully she'll be sleeping on it soon.
My grandpa did that with hunting dogs and they'd often be right where there laying on his hunting coat next morning.

Best of luck...

Indeed. Mojo sent.

My first Lab took off after a cow/calf moose, despite my commands. I laid my coat down there, and we went about our business- moose hunting the bends and side sloughs along a very windy stream. Figured on returning to the coat site later in the day.

An hour later we were maybe a dozen bends and a half a mile upstream when I could hear him howling (sitting on my coat).

He was a smart dog, and never went chasing after moose again against my command.

In late September we thought we had lost Chako the Wunder Wiener,. As we were setting up the tent (outboard trouble - camp here!), he disappeared. We called and yelled for a half hour and he didn't come, with fresh wolf and bear tracks on the river bank.

We went looking for him and found him over a quarter mile away. He had a grouse trapped in a tree, but boy did he know he was in trouble - when he saw us coming, he came slinking toward us with his ears down and tail between his legs.

Damned Dachshunds!

Last edited by las; 10/23/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.