Cant find the pics, but after their house burned down I took in my Ex-BiL’s 15yo mini-wiener dog, which in her younger dayd had puppies and been house trained (sort of) in our house. By the time of the fire she was toothless, deaf and nearly blind.

They had kept her as an outside dog, and she lived in a sometime heated crate for a year on my front porch, slow and blind, never left the yard.

One night when I got home she was gone, the next day I looked and looked, took my other dog with me. Finally found her curled up in some long grass in an alley about a block from my house.

She wouldn’t walk so I picked her up and carried her home, she died a few days later. I can’t say she wandered off to die tho she probably would have died out there. More like some switch was thrown in her aging brain, changing her behavior.

She did not appear fearful or distressed when I found her, I think she was past all that.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744