Whitetails, several, within 10 or 15 feet. Have also missed a couple that close too, but I was much younger.
A younger person will sometimes pick their head up off the stock to watch the deer fall.
You gotta get in the habit of keeping your cheek glued to the wood, no matter what you’re shooting, or what you’re shooting at.
It’s very easy to lose that contact if you’re not concentrating, shotgun or rifles.
Trigger time is very important if you wanna shoot good.
It’s a self discipline, but you’d be surprised how many hunters and shooters lack it!
Like the old saying says, “practice makes perfect”.
One thing that has made me a much deadlier hunter is hunting squirrel with a rifle. You learn to be patient, waiting for a shot to present itself. Squirrels are pretty forgiving, Deer ain’t so much. But I’ve learned on squirrels, and I’ll pass up shots on deer if I’m not certain.
Not bragging, but 95% of my deer shooting is bang-flop because I have developed that discipline by hunting squirrels.
There few things more heartbreaking than losing a crippled deer, and time spent trying to recover wounded critters is aggravating. I’m getting older, and going home empty handed is a better choice than blasting one and tracking or losing it.
7mm

Last edited by 7mmbuster; 11/28/22.

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden