Less than 3 feet on a boar pig, through the forehead with a .30/06. I had wounded him (shot him in the arse as he was galloping away) and he had gone to ground in some low cover. I circled round to find him, crossing a small creek. As I moved in he leaped up and charged from only a few yards away. I didn't have time to aim, just shot him from the hip and jumped back as he crashed into the ground where I'd been standing. He certainly got my attention.

I shot another in similar circumstances in a lignum swamp one time. Lignum higher than my head, and so thick you could only see a few yards. The pigs were moving through "tunnels" through the stuff. It was very exciting, because you could hear them but could only see them at the last moment. This big pig had taken a load of SG (00) buckshot, but it had only served to rile him up. I could hear him grunting and squealing, clacking his tusks and crashing around just a few yards away, but I couldn't see him. Suddenly he charged in and I gave him another lot of SGs in the face from a couple of yards off the muzzle, which took the fight right out of him.