On different species...

"Yearling" moose, at about 15 yards, head on. Steep uphill angle and his head was stretched high reaching for browse. .338 275 Grand Slam took him just under the jaw, nearly decapitating him and almost flipping him on his back.

I took my first Dall ram at about the same range.

Once flicked the butt of a Mule deer forkie with my fishing rod as he came sneaking by me, wondering where I had disappeared to. That resulted in McManus's "FBLP" on the deer's part. When he bounced off a tree, he changed direction, failed to clear a brush patch, picked himself off the ground, changed direction, and last I saw of him he was about 18 inches high and 20 feet long. He might still be running. 40 years ago, and I still laugh when I think of it. I'm counting it!

Oops- I forgot the black bear. We had spotted it while caribou hunting in the Kenai Mountains, and no caribou in sight, so I tried to get my son on it.

We got over there and no bear. I left him on stand against a big rock while I eased down slope to see if I could find the bear, which I figured had worked it's way down some, over the contour of the slope. He was still tight there, laying down in a 2' deep depression, about 10' long, 4 foot wide, covered in blueberry bushes. I found him when he stuck his head up about 15 feet from me.

No hesitation on my part! Right between the eyes.

A Co mule deer buck at about 10 yards.

Last edited by las; 12/25/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.