Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Exchipy
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
What is that thing?
I THINK it's an early Performance Center 4006, with a 5" barrel/slide combo. Back when the Performance Center actually built custom guns. I got to shoot one they built for Tom Campbell when he was on their shooting team (around 1990), and it was a helluva pistol.
You nailed it, ratsmacker. Very limited production. Bought mine new at retail about the time you mentioned. I’ve heard it variously called Comp 40 and Tac 40. But, I’ve seen a copy of a Roy Jinks letter on a duplicate pistol, with serial number very close to mine, in which it was referred to as the Model 4006 Competition 40. Its features include: A Bar-Sto marked 5-3/8” barrel with a Briley spherical bushing, a 3 pound trigger spring, polished lower front hammer surface for smoother D.A., one-sided 745-ish safety/decocker, oversized mag release, and absolutely superb fit and finish. I replaced the standard S&W low Novak 3-dot fixed sights with an MMC adjustable rear and a .245” Novak front. I’ve successfully resisted the temptation to sell it, even after seeing this:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

It’s just too damned enjoyable to let go. I think of it as sorta like a .40 caliber DA/SA SIG P49 (P210).

Every day’s an adventure.