Originally Posted by jwp475
This is .358 bullets a 225 TSX and a 223 Hammer Hunter, easy to see that the Hammer Hunter has less bearing surface, which allows to add a bit of powder for higher velocity

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
My JES bored Pre-64 FWT likes lighter bullets. Don't know why as it's a 12 twist.

Anyway, I shot some great groups with the Cutting Edge 160 gr. But, I went with the 178 gr. Shock Hammer because it's sleeker and can be loaded longer with less powder compression. With that bullet, RL-7 is my fav powder.

Here they are, side by side. Notice additional powder space with the Hammer.

These bullets frag; the core bores on thru, not too unlike a Partition. Except the frag pieces exit around the core, at least with a chest shot WT. Lots of internal damage, quick kills. Unless you're breaking down shoulders, shooting big, nasty critters, I like the Shock Hammer more than Barnes. The Shock Hammer is designed for 80% core retention. other Hammer bullets have less retention. Google "Types of Hammer Bullets" for details. Choice should depend on velocity and critter hunted.

Small company with much attention to detail and to their customers. Got an email from Steve Davis, one of the owners, after sending Hammer Bullets a photo of exit pattern, WT chest. He pointed out the satellite exits around the core exit. He knew what he was looking at. And, they seem to always have stock ready to ship.

Expensive but, IMO, worth it.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]