Originally Posted by MikeS
Originally Posted by catnthehat
Last week a buddy and I were out at the range shooting some 800 and 1,000 targets.
I was shooting my prone rifle ( irons, and sling) in 6mmBR, and he was shooting a braked up 300 mag, a Ruger RPR with a bipod and a brake that looks like it belongs on a Sherman tank.
Wind was not too bad, about 2MOA but gusting, and we both posted some pretty good 10 shot scores.
Two days ago we went out again and on the 800 meter target he had to dial in a full 8 MOA of left windage to get onto the target.
Yesterday, we had close to 5MOA of straight head wind.
It is never the same and very rarely constant at our range.
You can see 2MOA at 200 meters on the flag, and at 500 , 2MOA, and be 2MOA in the opposite direction at 300 meters!
Learning how to decipher a wind call is a never ending story for me ! LOL
Cat

I know how you feel! We had a stiff 12mph fishtailing headwind last Thursday at my 1000 yard Palma practice. Hard to keep up some days...

[Linked Image]
Drives a guy batty at times!
Last summer a guy was watching me shoot at 1,000 with my 308.I was doing fairly well with it when he pipes up" You need to hold over about 8" to the left"
WTH??!! I looked up and said " You wanna strap into this rig and SHOW ME how t hold over 8 inches with these irons?" LOL
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 01/24/23.

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!