Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Take a North East shooter and put him in the Midwest and there is an adjustment period..

I know, I was one..

😁

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I would add that a piece of flagging tape, tacked to the top of a piece of 1" dowel, works well enough as a wind-flag that it beats the hell out of not using any flags at all. Have tested this quite a bit against more sophisticated flags.

The big problem is getting the dowel to stand up. Have sharpened the "bottom" end and tapped them into the ground on "softer" ranges, but unless the wind's really blowing a piece of thin plywood nailed to the bottom can also work as a stand.

For testing rimfires I use a target with multiple aiming points, and mark each with a number. I shoot at target #1 in X wind condition, target #2 in Y condition, etc. This saves considerable time, and works very well because rimfire barrels don't heat up like centerfires.

Dang it MD you just had to point out the flaw didn’t you. 😁 Just an example of cheap and easy.
Personally I used that as a permanent set on my home range when I had one. Will point out that even some of the fancier expensive poles with spikes on the bottom had issues anchoring in the hard Nebraska clay when you had to extend them over the 100 yard berm when shooting at 200 and a couple of ranges over the 200 berm when shooting at 300. There were time when I would carry a small hammer with me down range to pound em in. Loaned it to others at times.

Last edited by Swifty52; 01/31/23.

Swifty