I took a buck couple years back with 80ttsx out of my 250ai. It was a quartering away shot and aimed for middle of off front shoulder. Bullet MV is 3563fps and 100yd shot so probably hit the buck around 3400fps.

Buck stumbled a few steps and went down...thought he DRT. Gave him 15 mins and walked up to him and he staggered up stumbled 10ft and dropped back down with his head was up looking at me. Knew he was hit hard and would eventually bleed out but not what I was expecting. Put another shot into chest and he didn't move...still head up looking at me.

Third shot took my time and took a head shot and finally went down. I don't take risky shots and hate seeing game suffer with bad shots. After gutting and skinning the buck...bullet took out liver, one lung and shoulder. Second bullet zipped thru without much damage.

The buck would have eventually bled out and died after first hit since he obviously didn't run off after walking up on him but I won't use the 80ttsx at that speed for behind shoulder shots. It's probably a great thru the shoulders bullet but definitely want more expansion and energy dumped into vitals with softer bullet.

Long story short...if you are a behind the shoulder shooter ...I would look at accubonds, partitions, ballistic tips, etc that fit more into opening up and dumping energy into vitals more than mono bullets with higher speeds.