You're going to be looking a long time if you're looking for a bullet for any reasonable deer cartridge that's going to put them down right there with "..boiler room right behind the shoulder..." shots. It doesn't matter if you turn the lungs into a bloody pulp, they might run 100 yards or more. If you want them dead right there, you need to wreck the running gear and/or the central nervous system. In most cases, your best chance for doing that is the high shoulder shot. If you hit about a third of the way down the shoulder you have a good chance of busting the spine and the shoulders. You might ruin a couple of pounds of shoulder meat...so what? You've got a deer right there.

I have killed more than a truckload of deer. I can only recall one instance when I shot a deer through the "boiler room" that the deer dropped right on the spot without any big bones or CNS components being hit. That was a small doe hit angling down through the front of the chest at fairly close range by a 150 grain (original) X-bullet from a 7mm RM (not what anyone would consider a soft, explosive bullet.)

I like to shoot them clean, behind the shoulder, when possible and advisable. Since moving down here, however I tend to like them DRT. I only shot one behind the shoulder since I've been down here. It was a perfect hit, good bullet, wrecked the heart and lungs and the deer ran about 75 - 100 yards into the woods. Poking around in the rapidly diminishing light in fairly warm weather (70's) in the brush of the SC Low Country following a slight blood trail, I decided from then on my SC deer were all going to be shot high through the shoulders.

Mathew 22: 37-39