Originally Posted by OldRooster
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by GreggH
Thanks 10guage. Interesting reading. The comments by Dogzapper were particularly of note.

GreggH
Those were the main point of the links. Probably other threads out there if you will do a little searching on the www

Those were the 2 that popped up with the keywords that I entered.

10gauge, thanks for digging up those threads. They’ve got me thinking. I ran into a guy at the range who hunts only bc with a 25/06. He was convinced that lighter bullets performed better on deer than the 117s and 120s. Dog zapper is certainly a believer. We hunt at much shorter ranges here and I don't know how much difference that may make but it’s worth a try. I’ll see if I can find a 100 gr load my rifle likes.
I am in the same boat. I like velocity.

Match the bullet to the game. Lighter softer bullet on light soft game.

Even a big deer is maybe 300#, hardly a big animal to me.

I hunt in brush, a 50 yard shot would be long. From the early 80s until the last 5 or 6 years allmy 6mm shot was an 85 grain Sierra SP. Considered a varmint bullet but it has no trouble punching through deer, even on some shoulder shots.

I have used the Sierra 100 whether boattail or flat base in the 25-06, it works fine as well.

I did have a load in a Savage LR 25-06. Max of IMR-4350 & a 100 grain Ballistic Tip. 3/4" or so with regular primer but a Magnum primer cut that group down to around 1/2", don't forget to experiment a little. Never killed any game with it.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!